Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Distressing with Vaseline

A few months ago I was talking to my friend about refinishing and she said, "Yes, I just finished my first vaseline piece of furniture."  I replied, "Wait!? What!?  You did what?"

After she explained to me how she distressed with vaseline it has been on my TO DO list for a very long time.  I hadn't come across the perfect piece of furniture until....

This headboard, it was actually a custom refinish, the lady I was refinishing it for wanted a rubbed look!  PERFECT FOR VASELINE!!!



So how do you distress with vaseline:
First sand your piece down and get it all ready for paint
Once it is ready add you vaseline where ever you DON'T want the paint to stick.  
It doesn't have to be thick just rub it on like you would on your lips.


Once you have the vaseline on paint away!  
As the paint dries it will crack where the vaseline is.  (As shown above) 
 Once your paint is dry take a rag and it will wipe right off!

You may want to run over the top with fine sand paper to make sure all the lose paint is off!


I did go back and distress in a few additional spots to add an antique look!



 TTFN

Brooke


2 comments:

  1. That's cool, I've done that with a candle, & I've heard about the vaseline but haven't tried it. It turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke! You are super talented:)! I'm so happy I met you and can't wait to chat about how you pull all this off! I need Brooke lessons:). See you Tuesday.

    Polly

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...