Monday, September 14, 2015

Crib Turned Bench Tutorial

I posted this tutorial over at Lou Lou Girls a few months ago but I wanted to share it here too!  I am always looking for something to repurpose.  I have to admit I love to tear things apart and turn them into something else.  When I bought this crib I didn't have any plans in mind, but it is solid wood, I loved the pretty spindles and the price was right!  I brought it home and decided to turn it into a bench!  These bench's are pretty easy to make as long as you have the right power tools!



You will need:
An old crib
a table saw
tape measure
a drill
screws
wood glue
2x4's
sand paper
paint
pine planks


For this bench I used the 2 ends.  One of the ends will be the back you don't need to do anything to this one



The second end you are going to cut in half with a table saw.  once cut you should have 2 equal parts, these are going to be the sides of your bench.

A bench seat is usually between 16 to 17 inches high.  I cut 5 inches off of these legs so they would line up correctly on the back and be the right height for my seat.


Next you are going to build a frame out of 2x4's to use as your seat.  



The back of your frame should run from post to post and should be at least 15 inches wide.
Once your frame is made you will attach it to the back of your bench with several screws and wood glue.  It is a good idea to pull out your level to ensure your bench is going together square.  


Once your frame is secured to the back you can add your side pieces one at a time.  
I like to screw them to the back as well as the center frame to make the bench as sturdy as possible.   




Now that your bench is all together fill all of your screw holes and your bench will be ready to paint!


Once your bench is painted cut pine planks the width of your bench with at least a 1/2 inch over hang.  I used a finish nailer to secure the pine planks to the 2x4 frame. 





and TADA you have a beautiful new bench!







This bench is for sale!!  Asking 4125

TTFN

Brooke

You can follow me here:


1 comment:

  1. Gosh, I love your crib benches Brooke - especially the pretty colors you paint them. I have made a few headboard benches (have one in the works right now for a client) and it's good to see you construct yours the same way I construct mine. Believe me, Mr. Frugalista and I had a few too many arguments about the assembly process. I'm right, yessssssssss!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...